Meeting and Beating Gendered Expectations During the Holocaust

[pdf-light-viewer id="294"]

Student Biography

Author: Katarina Haley Andersen

Andersen is originally fromĀ Madison, New Hampshire. She is currently a junior in Syracuse University’s class of 2017, majoring in African American Studies, History, Social Studies Education. She is also currently involved in the national history fraternity, Phi Alpha Theta.

What interested you in this topic?

Studying social distinctions of gender and inequity is something I am passionate about. Also, I am very interested in looking at the nature in which people participated during the Holocaust, for understanding how people came to participate is essential to understanding how to educate people to avoid similar atrocities in the future.

Did you encounter any obstacles?

I found it difficult to not surpass the page limit on a topic that has so many dynamic complexities behind it and that I care so much about.

What did you find that surprised you?

I was amazed by the excuses made by perpetrators after the war. It is hard to believe that people can edge around understanding that they have committed blatantly horrendous acts, but it is important to understand how they come to those conclusions.

Professor Comments

Professor Laurie Marhoefer

This paper takes a complex look at how gender shaped the Holocaust and does an outstanding job of marshaling detailed readings of historical sources to prove its argument.

Photograph courtesy of the German Federal Archive.

Next Post

Previous Post